I first got some for our wedding ceremony to use as the unity candle.

Then I "needed" some to decorate my new colorful kitchen. We registered for Fiesta Ware and we registered for six different colors! When we were first married, we had a ledge in the kitchen that needed something. So, I purchased some pottery on our honeymoon and I added some glassybaby to pull all that color together! Then I decided I wanted to have some for seasonal uses. I swap out certain colors at various times throughout the year to make the festivities bright and beautiful.
Yesterday, I went to the glassybaby Seconds Sale. I wasn't quite sure what this meant (i.e. discontinued colors, flawed, etc.) but I knew I wanted to take advantage of the sale! It is true; I might be one of those people who shops sales and buys things I probably wouldn't have if they hadn't been on sale. However, the story behind glassybaby has captured my heart from the get-go.
I have several beautiful people in my life that have survived, and have passed because of, cancer just like the founder of glassybaby, Lee Rhodes. She started making these colorful gems when she was first diagnosed with cancer as a distraction and she has thrice survived the noxious disease. I have heard of research stating that when people are of good cheer, have friends and family around, and have distractions, they are more likely to survive. I believe in that and Lee, as well as some dear loved ones, are living proof. She donates 10% of all her earnings to various charities throughout the country but specifically she was donating yesterday's percentage to Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research in Seattle.
Anyway, yesterday, I woke up bright and early to get in line for the Seconds Sale. I waited for about 2.5 hours in line and then finally got in.
It was a mad house, but everyone was so happy and helpful! I purchased five new glassbaby. Some of them are gifts for those important people above. I'm keeping one for myself! :)
If you are able, please support this grassroots company. http://www.glassybaby.com/. You will not regret it!
No comments:
Post a Comment