So many projects, so little time... I have been wanting to mount some portraits from our wedding picture session #2 (taken this past summer) to some canvases to hang on our bedroom wall. There are many methods that I read about online and some I have seen in person but wasn't quite talented enough to pull them off so, I am going with the steps below:
Supplies:
Stretched Canvas Frames
Pictures to be photocopied
Printable/ Iron On Transfers (Iron and Parchment Paper)
Acrylic Paints in assorted colors
Other little things to decorate with, such as scrapbooking materials, lace, stamps, etc.
Mod Podge
1. I printed my 16X20 pictures onto four pieces of transfer paper.
2. Piecing the transfer paper together so that they match up, I begin to iron them onto the top of the canvases. In some places it doesn't quite look like they stuck, but for what I'm doing this works ok. And, I like my projects to have character.
3. I painted streaks of paint around the edges to give it depth and to cover up mistakes! (One of my pictures didn't piece together as nicely as I would have hoped, but I painted around the white edge that was left on the canvas and you would never have known the difference).
4. I laid out some other decorative baubles here and there to give it a little more character (although they probably would have been just lovely at step 3.
5. Then I Mod Podged over the additional pieces to make sure that they stuck. After that layer dried, I added another complete layer over the entire canvas. This step really helped bring out the texture from the canvas itself.
6. They turned out great and I spent WAY less than having a professional print a picture to canvas. Costco charges $45.00 for a 16X20 canvas print. I did two and paid about $25.00 for the supplies.
I think I might add a bunch more little sayings around the perimeter if I ever have time!
The completed picture is really cute. I loved the photo to begin with.
ReplyDelete