Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sound Transit is not so "Sound"

Today, I rode the bus and train to work.  It was my first time doing so.  I have to cross through two zones, but countless municipalities to get from home to work.  Driving takes me at least and hour...sometimes two. 

Normally and last time I rode the bus, there were always "tranfers" (free rides for subsequent trips within a 2-hour window) and I always only had to transfer once.  Mind you, I only ride the bus for sporting events to the stadiums because I am too cheap to park, and a couple times to the airport.  And, then I traveled within one zone.

Anyway, this was my first time since they implimented the new and improved sound transit/ light rail here in Seattle!  Here in Seattle, we do not have good public transportation...at least not compared to other major cities like New York or London, but I would say it is better than the Diablo Rojo.  It is always a guessing game as to when and how much you will have to pay.  Sometimes you pay when you get on the bus, sometimes when you get off.  Anyway, they did away with the "transers" so now you have to pay for each leg of your trip is you pay cash.  If you have the ORCA card, then you get a discount, but then it says if you use a monthly plan you get the discount and if you just put money on the ORCA card, it is treated like cash if you don't use a monthly plan.  SO CONFUSING. Anyway, when I got to the landing to board my train (the third leg of my commute), I did not see anywhere to pay for the train.  I only saw a thing that said swipe card here.  (This made me think that there must be hundreds of people who had no clue what was happening because I have a master's degree; come on people, I'm no dummy here!)  I had nothing to swipe.  I saw no where to buy something to swipe.  Thus, I proceeded onto the train, thinking that you must pay when you get off, like some of the busses.  However, when I got off the train, it only said to purchase your tickets prior to boarding...it did not tell me this in Westlake. 

Was I supposed to then purchase the ticket for the ride I had already taken?  I was so confused!  We have a totally depraved-of-"sound"-transit-transit in the Seattle area!

Ignorant bliss,
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment