Saturday, July 28, 2012

"pillow case/ table cloth/ whatever fabric you have laying around" shirt

I have seen so many options on Pinterest for altering old ts or making cute tanks...however, for us big girls, it is hard to find stuff that fits.  I decided to try the traditional pillowcase shirt, but I just used fabric that I had lying around.  I've made three!  They are a little funky, but they fit and I like 'em!

Here's what you need:
about a yard of fabric
thread
ribbon
sewing machine
scissors and cutting utensils.

Here's what I did:

1. Take the yard or fabric and fold it in half...the other direction than the direction it is already folded.
2. Then sew up the sides. (at this point it is like you have a pillow case, but my opening is on one of the long ends) 
 3. Then cut at a diagonal the corners. (to make an opening for the arms)
 4. On the other open end, hem all the way around the bottom. 
  5. Fold in the edges in the arm holes, where you cut on the diagonal and sew a "hem".
 6.  Sew along the bottom of slit, to ensure the fabric will not fray, and double up at the bottom of each side of the arm area of the fabric.
7. Cut a small triangle out of one of the sides. (This will form an eyelet opening for the ribbon to be strung through)
 8. Fold in and sew and then fold down about an inch and a half around the entire top and sew all the way around. (this is to form your tube that the ribbon will be threaded through.) 
  9. Thread a safety pin with your ribbon/ sash and thread through the opening around the top.
  10. This is what it looks like when it's done!

They are pretty baggy, But I wanted something that didn't hug my mid-section like everything off the rack.  I put pleats in the front of the shirt along the bottom hem to make it a little more fitted, but I left the back alone so that it hangs and covers my bottom well!  I think it looks cute and I got some compliments that they would have never known it was home-made.

No comments:

Post a Comment