Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Birdhouse Blocks!

So, I fell in love with a panel of fabric recently and so I have been planning and drawing a new quilt pattern all around the one panel. It has a medallion type center and I am incorporating some of the blocks I have been learning to make. However, I am having to adjust the sizing and that is hard work for my non-math-gifted brain. It's been 17 years since I took a math class!

So, I am so excited I started with this birdhouse block. This is new to me. Is this what they call paper-piecing? I'm not sure. But, I definitely did it. Here's how:

1. I drew that sketch on paper.
2. Then I cut those pieces and decided color schemes.
3. After that, I cut 4 of each piece. I cut around the piece of paper pattern by leaving and extra quarter inch border around the pattern.
4. Then I started sewing piece by piece by number to make sure each piece was in the right spot.
5. Below it shows how that looked at the first two pieces and the about halfway through.
6. Voilah!









No comments:

Post a Comment