Friday, April 13, 2012

The Hanging Gardens of Konradland

So, as you all know, we have been working on gardens galore!  It has been such a delight to get outside and work with our hands and sweat!  And, watch the birds in our yard.  Some of them are truly beautiful.  The other day I heard something very noisy adn when I looked over to see what it was, there were three Steller Jays hopping around our feeder.  We've even been naming some of our birds (although, I can say with certainty that the birds assigned said names are interchangable as there is really no way to tell them apart).
Due to space issues, I wanted to put my herbs on the side of the house.  I found this idea on Pinterest!  I thought it would work with a little tweaking, but I ended up making several tweaks! 


Here's what you need:
-Wood pieces (mine were scraps left over from our table project)
-Hose clamps
-Screws
-Pots/ jars
-plants of your choice

First, I like the look of things that are labeled, so I stamped the herb name on the boards.

Second, we didn't really want to screw things into the siding.  I decided to hang them with chain from hooH\ks at the top, but anytime the wind blew, it was so loud it sounded like Bo Jangle was trying to break into our house!  I am home alone a lot at night so that didn't sit well with me.  Untimately, we decided to screw them into the siding!

Third, I started with the mason jars, but I quickly realized that I needed something that could drain. We live in Western Washington, which is equivalent to mold and mildew.  I want fresh herbs not mottled ones!  So, I went with the terra cotta pots so that they can drain.

When all was said and done it wasn't a hard project, I just had to change it up so it took a bit more time than I had anticipated. 

I am obsessed with Cilantro and Basil.  I cannot wait to pick it fresh and throw it in some delectables!

1 comment:

  1. What a neat idea. You are very creative and talented there young lady. Love you.

    ReplyDelete