Wednesday, February 22, 2012

a new table...

Our other table was lovely and huge.  We were able to sit 12 around it comfortable, when we had room to pull out the leaves and set that many chairs around it.  It measured 69x37 inches without the leaves.  We enjoyed it while it lasted, but when we moved to our new house...we downsized and over the past couple weeks, I realized that it had to go.  If anyone was ever in either the kitchen or living room and someone was sitting at the table, the other would be trapped.  So, we posted it on Craigslist and it found a new home.

So, I bought some wood, glue, screws, stain/sealant and some prefab table legs and I have been working on said table.

I have to top and legs constructed but it still needs to be stained.
  
I had 5 pieces of plain white wood.  I paid attention to the grain pattern and texture as I chose the pieces.  I asked the nice man at Lowes to cut them to 56 inches.  I drilled holes in the sides of the planks of wood and placed dowels and glues them together with wood glue.  For each set of planks, I allowed the glue time to dry before attempting to do the other planks.  This step takes patience and focus because if the wood is warped or you drill the holes cadiwampus, you will have a very uneven surface.  After it all dried, I did have a few uneven edges.  I ended up running back to Lowes to purchase a hand-held plainer.  It took a few times to get the feel for it, but it helped significantly in evening out and smoothing the top.  Then I sanded the entire surface outside with my electric sander (round, bought at Big Lots for 1/2 price, works great!).  After that, I drilled three supports to the underside spaced about every 18 inches or so.  This helps it to be more stable and maintain it's form.  It isn't perfect but it looks pretty darn good! It's now 56x31 inches! That's as far as I got!
I am looking forward to the finished product.  A rustic, homey, pine table with mix-matched chairs where we can enjoy an intimate game of Balderdash or Scrabble!

No comments:

Post a Comment