Thursday, June 20, 2013

Patriotism in a Quilt

I have been learning the art of quilting this year. It is quite amazing how many designs and methods there are for quilt making! It is customary to follow a pattern when making a fabric mosaic but I like to color outside the lines a bit! This patriotic one, I designed myself, using a few blocks I have learned to do in other quilts.

Apparently, making quilts to donate to wounded soldiers is pretty common in the quilting community. I think that is amazing and such an amazing way to honor our brave men and women who have sacrificed so much for our freedoms. So, I have been hoping to get a few done this year. My neighborhood quilt shop has a contest, but I am actually donating my quilts to another cause. An old friend has put out a request in the cyber world asking for people to make patriotic quilts for a unit of soldiers who are being deployed in August. These are men and women from my home town and some of them are friends, neighbors and teachers of people I actually know. 

If this is something you would be interested in helping with, please contact me asap! They should be patriotic but not an actual flag and twin-bed sized!

No comments:

Post a Comment