Friday, June 14, 2013

June Block!

Our class this month was so interesting to this history nerd!  The Block we are doing is called "Churn Dash" to some, but to others it is "Shoo Fly".  When I was making my birdy quilt a couple months ago, I used "Churn Dash" which I found amongst a line of blocks called "Farmer's Wife" Blocks.  They are bocks that were traditionally made by farmers' wives and there is a book that accompanies the blocks telling the story of each block--this one resembling the perimeter or a butter church. 

Well, this month, our teacher, did some research about the history of the block and she ended up giving us an entire history lesson on the Underground Railroad--the plight of runaway slaves and abolitionists helping them.  I guess I knew all along, as a history teacher, that abolitionists helped slaves escape their persecution through signs, symbols and song, but I never connected that that could have been by hanging a quilt on the fence.  Amazing!  So, this block is also one of many that when slaves saw a quilt hanging out on someone's laundry line or fence they knew to go in a certain direction or to stay in hiding or that certain farms were safe, etc.!  You can read more about other blocks used in the Underground Railroad at http://ses.westport.k12.ct.us/squire/idivsquares.htm.  Enjoy!

Here is my block!  The colors are strange, but I think once the whole quilt comes together, it will look ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment