Monday, May 16, 2011

Furniture, Appraisals and Toilets...Oh My!

We are still in the process of buying our first home!  It has been pretty smooth, but it recently hit a road block.  The appraiser found a few minor issues that we were already aware of and were planning on fixing as soon as we moved in (i.e. replace current toilet, add support and drainage for hot water heater and add proper drainage around the foundation).  However, in the home buying world...what the appraiser wants, the appraiser gets.  Meaning, if they find issues with the home, the owner MUST fix them prior to the loan closing.  Therefore, we cannot get our loan closed until these things get fixed!  Who knows how long that will take?!?!?  We are praying that we can still close on time and move Memorial Day Weekend!  Please join us in that prayer!

In the meantime, I have been doing a lot of shopping for our new little home!  The kitchen is very small.  For a chef like myself, that could be problematic, as I have lots of gadgets and gizmos that make cooking yummier and easier to do.  So, I have been looking for extra storage for the kitchen (i.e. butches, buffets, and the like). 

A couple weekends ago, I took Matt to work in Everett thinking I would just run to a couple furniture stores and then pick him back up in a couple hours...well...not too long into his shift, he called to say he was going to be about 6 hours...so I looked around with a little more attention than I thought I would have initially.  I was originally planning on looking to price things out and quickly found that some of the things I need are pretty expensive to buy new!  Then, I stumbled upon a little flea market/ furniture store there and found some great pieces.  An old, short, 3-drawer dresser and a bookshelf with some really cool angles and woodworking.  My plan is to stack the shelf on top of the dresser and store kitchen gadgets, cookbooks, towels and other items in it.  I ended up placing them on hold, however, because the clerk told me that there is another store up north on Camano Island!  Since I had extra time that day, I decided to make the trip up there!  It was a wonderful store, and I found some other odds and ends that seemed useful, but nothing more appealing than that combination from the first store.  Thus, I returned to Everett to purchased the dresser/ shelf and plan to repaint and distress it to look uber cute in our new dining area.  (Although, I did go back up to Camano Island to purchase a little table later!) 

The past couple weeks, I have been searching stores, online and especially Craigslist for a buffet to go in the kitchen as well.  I finally found one last Thursday and Matt and I made the trek to Olympia to get it!  It is so wonderful.  It has several spacious drawers, but I am only going to keep the top two and will cut out the rest of the wood to create a "garage" environment for storage down below.  I plan on making curtains to enclose that space that match the curtains I am making for the kitchen window!  And, the best part is that this buffet came with a hutch, but since I don't need it in the kitchen, I will put it in my craft room and it will provide an excellent place for all things crafty!

All four pieces were still cheaper than a brand new one!  I love saving money!

I will post pictures as soon as I am done!

No comments:

Post a Comment