Friday, June 27, 2014

Western Washington Shop Hop 2014

A couple weeks ago, I was exploring a new quilt shop (well, not new, bit new to me) in Duvall. The woman working was so delightfully helpful! As I readied for my departure, she asked if I was doing the Shop Hop. I asked her, "the huh-what?"  She went on to tell me all about the shop hop and what it consisted of. The more she talked, the more I thought that I had to do it! It sounded like a scavenger huntesque event consisting of 51 stores spread across western Washington. I love a good challenge, so I plotted out my course of action. 

As I had to work on the first two days, I only visited three stores each those two days. I really liked the store in Ballard called The Quilter's Loft. It was there that I saw this beauty! I'm so gonna make it!
The deal is that as one travels from shop to shop, participants receive a quilt block pattern and three pieces of fabric. For many blocks, they provided all of the needed fabric. Others did not. On day three, I drove 275 miles and got to 16 more stores. 

Thankfully, I had a partner in crime that day! Thanks Kim!
I also learned some new techniques and about some cool tools that make quilting a little easier. (Possible Christmas present?-mom?) This one, I learned at Bayside Quilting in Olympia--also a cool store.
Many stores offered their blocks from years past for sale. Some were SO cute, like this little beehive. I got a few along the way, because--honestly--I probably won't do some of the free blocks because they're, well, ugly or too hard. So, I will supplement with some cute blocks I saw along the way.
I also saw cute ideas that weren't meant for the shop hop, but these chickens were so cute I had to remember them!
On day four, I drove another 225 miles and got to 10 more stores! I fell in love with the shop in Freeland, WA on Whidbey Island. They had fabrics I hadn't seen anywhere else and the lady working was so nice!

I had such a blast! I can't wait til next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment