Monday, September 8, 2014

Shaggy, ruffly, tshirty scarf

I found this amazing scarf idea on Pinterest. The moment I saw it, I needed to make one that worked for my team (maybe teams)!  The idea came from this webpage. 

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/other/oh-for-the-love-of-scarf-make-a-t-shirt-scarf.html#_a5y_p=849828


I didn't follow her instructions exactly though...


Here's what you need:

-3 tshirts

-sewing thread

-stich-wich and heat n' bond.


Here's what I did:

Bottom: cut tshirts into 8" strips across (this makes circles, but then you trim the ends and it made for 23" sections). I cut 2 strips of white, 2 strips of white, and 8 strips of black.
Tops: sewing the strips together with a backstitch at the ends. I sewed 2 sections of blue in the center (approx. 40") then on each end of that, I sewed white sections (23") and then black sections on those ends (18")--so altogether it measures 140" x 8". I like my scarves long! Especially when the fabric is thin, like tshirt fabric. This way, I can wrap it multiple times!
Once the strips are sewn together into really ling strips, you can start to decorate them!
Above: cut out the paw print (or any mascot symbol) using heat n' bond. Adhere. Cut around the pieces and adhere to the scarf pieces by peeling off the paper backing and pressingg with an iron. I sewed around the edges of each piece as well so that a.) it looks cool, and b.) they won't fall off!
After that, I cut 1" strips to sew onto scarf end portions. I spaced them out about an inch apart. Then I zig-zag stitched them on making sure to get through all the layers. Lastly, I sewed all the way around the perimeter with a regular stitch. 

I just LOVE it! I am so excited to get my team spirit on! Go Cougs!

No comments:

Post a Comment